|This electronic brochure highlights our
capabilities and activities in the area of Web-Based Project Management
Please sign our guestbook. For additional information, e-mail
Robert Thorpe, Southwest
Web-Based Project Management
About the cover:
An SwRI team is developing the New Horizons Pluto-Kuiper Belt mission to explore
the solar system’s only planet not yet visited by a spacecraft. SwRI’s action
item management system is a key component of the New Horizons program.
With more than 25 years of experience in managing
large complex projects, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI®) brings all the
advantages of Internet-based applications to project managers, including:
- Access through any web browser; other client
software is not required because the system resides on SwRI’s web server
- Role-based access to system functions, from
guests to system managers
- E-mail based reminder functions
- File-upload capabilities for detailed tracking
Additional advantages to project managers and their
- Save time and project resources with real-time
data access, eliminating time-consuming paper chases
- System support done by SwRI, including system
maintenance, data backups, software patches, and information security
The SwRI Project Information Management System (PIMS)
has received excellent feedback and commendations from NASA review panels and
teams. A NASA proposal review team cited the use of this system as a
contributing factor to a winning proposal. Space projects using the PIMS
- Cassini (INMS)
- Deep Impact
- Orbital Express
- New Horizons
In addition to scheduling, many project management
activities are critical for project success. The SwRI-developed Project
Information Management System (PIMS) is an integrated web-based project
management tool that allows project managers to coordinate and complete many of
these activities online, using any web browser. PIMS supports many functions,
such as action item tracking, risk management, online checklists, and document
and image management.
The SwRI PIMS contains nine software
modules. Eight are project management modules and one is an interface
module, which transfers select PIMS data to scheduling programs, such as
Primavera® and MS Project.
Action Item Tracking
- Tracks action items online using a combination
of e-mail and the web. Effective tracking of action items is essential for
- Sends e-mail notifications before, on, and after
the action item due date, as well as when the action item status has
EEE Parts Management
- Manage electrical, electronic, and
electromechanical (EEE) parts through the complete mission lifecycle.
- Includes functions to manage assemblies, update
radiation and screening data, track GIDEP alerts, perform approval
processes, and generate reports.
- Tracks project risks and risk mitigation plans
online, with e-mail reminders as the risk due date approaches.
- Uses a combination of consequence, likelihood,
and mission ranking factors to set and display risk priorities and create
- Specifically designed to replace the many
inefficiencies of a paper non-conformance process.
- Uses an e-mail approval process that can be
configured for internal and external approval authorities.
- Allows project teams to manage any type of
checklist. Examples include design review checklists, travelers,
instrument/spacecraft operations checklists, software development lifecycle
checklists, and to-do lists.
- Stores checklists as templates or in interactive
mode. Interactive checklists are updated online and show progress toward
The PIMS Action Item Manager has proven extremely
useful during project design reviews.
Document and Image Manager
- Provides an online document storage system that
includes optional revision control, and can be configured for different user
- Stores project images online with searchable
titles and text descriptions. Includes an image thumbnail viewer.
- Saves date-relevant project information online –
excellent for recording information in all project
- Supports a high degree of customization. Project
managers can create any number of custom categorization dropdown menus that
are also searchable.
- Allows project managers to define their own
completely custom tracking system, using any number of text, dropdown, date,
label, and text area fields in any order.
- Includes e-mail notification, file upload, file
download, and custom form management functions.
- Transfers action items, risks, and
non-conformance reports from PIMS into Primavera® and MS Project. Other data
sets will also be available for transfer in future versions.
This brochure was published in February 2007. For more information
about Web-Based Project Management Tools, contact
manager, Space Support Systems and Software,
Space Science and Engineering
Division, Southwest Research Institute, P.O. Drawer 28510, San Antonio,
Texas 78228-0510, Phone (210) 522-2848, Fax (210) 543-0052.
|The SwRI web-based PIMS allows the user to manage
projects online while the Institute maintains the software and databases.
Space Science and Engineering
SwRI Technical Divisions